Breakfast may just be my favorite meal. Warm, fluffy pancakes or waffles, buttery toast, slices of fresh fruit (or for the Trini’s- a piping hot doubles or aloo pie).
You’d think a connoisseur of breakfast such as myself would ritualize this meal into the grand affair it deserves to be but I’ll let you in on a little secret: My most frequented breakfast spot is in my car while stopped at red lights on the highway.
For years I have run out of the house, smoothie or piece of fruit in hand, and considered that my first meal of the day, but no more! Here are some nutritious, delicious, filling recipes that could either be prepared quickly in the morning or the night before.
These meals provide me with a great energy boost and keep me filled until lunch. Enjoy!
P.S. All these meals can be made vegan by using plant-based milk
Whole wheat pancakes
Using half whole wheat flour makes these a healthier option as opposed to regular pancakes while maintaining a good texture and taste. Topping them with berry compote adds a healthy serving of fruit and cuts down on sugar from regular pancake syrup. Looks oh so naughty – but it’s basically guilt-free!
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup whole wheat flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tbsp brown sugar
- 1 tbsp ground flax seed
- Pinch of salt
- 1/4 tsp cinnamon
- 1-2 drops vanilla extract
- 1 1/4- 1/2 cup milk of choice
- Mix all dry ingredients then add in milk and stir until there are no lumps
- Heat a non-stick pan on low-medium heat
- Pour approx. 1/6 of batter and cook on both sides until golden brown
- Leave in the fridge for the next day or freeze and reheat for ~2 minutes
- Combine 1 cup frozen berries, 1 tbsp sugar, 1 tbsp lime juice and 3 tbsp water in a saucepan and simmer on low heat until it turns into a syrup
Creamy, dreamy oats with a pretty pastel hue from berries – I call this the breakfast of fairies. Three great sources of protein and plant-based omega 3’s from the chia seeds, what more could you ask for!
- 1 cup quick oats
- 3/4 cup milk of choice
- 1 tbsp sugar
- 1 tbsp chia seeds
- 1/4 tsp cinnamon
- A handful of frozen berries, Sliced banana, 1 tbsp cocoa powder, 1 tbsp coconut flakes etc.
- Combine all ingredients and leave in the fridge overnight
Iced Caramel Protein Latte
This one is a must try! It tastes like a caramel chiller yet packs 22g protein (using About Time Vegan Vanilla Protein powder) and the goodness of banana and dates (which gives it the caramel flavor). I usually have this in addition to some toast and eggs, but it’s still a great complete meal in a pinch. If you’re interested in gaining weight but have a small appetite, liquid calories are a must in my opinion.
- 6 small dates soaked in 1 cup coffee overnight, chilled
- 1 frozen banana (Or fresh banana and a few ice cubes)
- 1 cup milk of choice
- 1 scoop protein powder of choice
- Add all ingredients to high-speed blender and process until smooth
Now head on over to Mikayla’s blog for more deliciousness.
If you want to collab with me be sure to shoot me a message via my connect page or any of my social media profiles.
-xoxo Little Miss Sunshine 🌞